Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Review: Ten Below Zero by Whitney Barbetti

Title: Ten Below Zero
Author: Whitney Barbetti
Source: Purchased


Synopsis:

“In here,” he said, pushing on the skin above my heart, “you're ten below zero. And you’re closer to death than I am.”

My name is Parker. My body is marked with scars from an attack I don’t remember. I don’t want to remember. I choose to live my life by observation, not through experience. While people are laughing and kissing and connecting, I’m in the corner. Watching them live. I’m indifferent to everything, everyone. The only emotion I feel with any kind of depth is annoyance, and I feel it often.

A text message sent to the wrong number proves to be my undoing.

His name is Everett, but I call him rude. He’s pushy, he’s arrogant, he crowds my personal space, and worst of all: he makes me feel.

He chooses to wear all black, all the time, as if he’s waiting to attend a funeral. Probably because he is.

Everett is dying. And he’s spending his final days living, truly living. In doing so, he’s forcing me to feel, to heal. To come face to face with the demons I suppressed in my memory.

He hurts me, he fulfills me, he completes me. And still, he's dying.





Review:



 
Ten Below Zero is a New Adult romance by Whitney Barbetti. As far as I know, it's a stand alone book and isn't a part of a series. It's a story about a young woman named Parker who is a victim of an attack. She hides behind her scars and keeps herself isolated. She has nobody in her life and she doesn't feel anything – until she meets Everett, who makes her feel everything.

Everett has cancer and is refusing treatment. He's tired of fighting. He just wants to spend his final days truly living. He goes on a road trip to visit some places he's been wanting to see, and brings Parker along. I love the banter between these two. They are both rude at times. They like to rile each other up. Both characters are stubborn and make decisions that will drive you crazy...but that's part of the fun. Parker and Everett have some amazing sparks between them. It's beautiful to read.

I don't normally like giving away spoilers, but I just have to say that this book has a happy ending. I felt the need to say that, because I wasn't even going to give this book a chance. After reading the synopsis and seeing that one of the main characters was dying, I decided to pass it by. I hate reading things that make me sad. However, I read a review from a fellow book blogger who promised that this has a happy ending so I was excited to give it a shot. I don't want somebody else to pass this book by because they think it will have a sad ending. Don't get me wrong – there are sad moments. This book will take you through all sorts of emotions – but it is totally worth it.

Ten Below Zero is a beautiful love story with so much depth to it. There are actually quite a few editing errors that I feel like I need to mention. Also, I'm taking one star off because there are just too many similarities between this book and The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski. I didn't pick up on that at first. I knew the story felt kind of familiar, but I have such a horrible memory. After I wrote the majority of this review, I went back and read through my copy of The Edge of Never. So, I was a little disappointed. But the chemistry between the two main characters felt different enough that it felt like it's own story.


Visit the author here:


Find this book here:



No comments:

Post a Comment